The Rise of Single Family Rentals after the Foreclosure Crisis was examined in a study released by the University of California, Berkeley’s Terner Center for Housing Innovation.
A few points of interest:
- 70% of respondents selected “private laundry” as an extremely or very important factor influencing their housing choice, eclipsing all other characteristics in the survey.
- In the wake of the foreclosure crisis, however, the share of single family rentals grew quickly. Between 2006 and 2016, more than 3.8 million additional households became renters of single family homes.
- By 2015, nearly one in five single-family homes was occupied by a renter.
- Institutional owner-operators make up a very small share of the total single family rental market, with estimates ranging between one and two percent.10 Among investors buying during the housing boom and bust (2000-2014), 38 percent of single-family rental properties were purchased by landlords who buy only one or two properties per year, and 60 percent were purchased by
investors who buy 10 or fewer properties per year.
- Single-family detached homes make up more than 62 percent of the housing stock in the United States, with the vast majority located in suburban neighborhoods.
The Southwest Florida Real Estate Investment Association is the leading source of SWFL real estate investing events that provide investment education and networking in southwest Florida. We analyze the housing market and foreclosures and provide information, education and networking events in order to build a network and knowledge base for investors and potential investors. Our members include real estate agent, brokers, investors, hedge fund managers, rehabbers, wholesalers and more.
Our SWFL REIA General Meeting is held in Fort Myers where we provide education on hot topics in investing and an opportunity to enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow investors. You’ll get a chance to ask for advice from successful real estate professionals and even make a few deals on your latest projects.
To become a member, anyone can register as an individual, a couple, or a corporation. Being a member opens the doors for endless networking opportunities, advice from members with decades of experience, new ideas from entrepreneurs, camaraderie with those just beginning, and deals and contracts done in the meeting room. For those interested in Cape Coral rental property investment and/or Fort Myers rental property investment, SWFL REIA will be able to provide a network to help launch a successful investment career.
The SWFL REIA is known and respected as a source of current, actionable and useful information about the housing market in the area that we meet.
We meet twice a month.
One of the premier sources for real estate investing networking and education is the SWFL REIA. In the real estate world, the SWFL REIA is different in that they do not do information product sales. Their meetings are focusing on the best ways of investing in real estate by collaborating with other property investors who are sharing their experiences.
We look forward to meeting you at a meeting soon!
Click here for membership information
Get our meeting notices and market data emailed to you.